Dear CC Hackney Members,For what is possible in terms of cycling (by law since 6th January '21) please see the guidelines by following the link to British Cycling here:
Cycling for exercise - British Cycling's Guidelines
Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Monday 4 January we have sadly now suspended all activities and events in England until further notice.
We know that this news will come as a disappointment to many of you, however it’s important that we now once again pull together to ensure that cycling plays its part in bringing the virus under control. Getting out on our bikes is a great way to boost our mental and physical health and we’ll be working hard to keep you pedalling.
You can find the most up-to-date guidance for Scotland here and Wales here.
How can I continue to ride?Under the new restrictions you are permitted to cycle, and we would encourage you to do so, while following these rules:
- You should only ride alone, with your household/support bubble or one other person.
- Stay local, ride within your limits and ensure you are self-sufficient.
- Leave the house to exercise only once each day.
- Keep a safe distance from others and practice good respiratory hygiene (i.e., no spitting, use a tissue).
- You can only leave your home to exercise, and not for the purpose of leisure (such as a picnic or a coffee break).
- If you need to travel, such as to work or go to the shops, you are encouraged to cycle where possible.
We know many of you will want to know what is meant by 'staying local'. The Government’s definition of this is stated as ‘your village, town or the part of a city where you live’.
We understand that this definition is particularly restrictive for cycling, and we are working to seek further clarification on this. We will provide a further update as soon as we are able.
In the meantime, we recommend that you follow the advice to stay local, ride well within your ability and ensure that you are self-sufficient.
As per the current news broadcasts our National Health Service is under a lot of pandemic pressure 'like never before'. When out cycling let's be extra careful; our hospitals do not need any more casualties than they are dealing with already. Members please ensure to follow the law; stay indoors, keep distance, wash hands, wear a mask especially when indoors for essential shopping, protect the NHS and front line staff/services. Working together we will get through this to good times ahead.
Very best wishes and stay safe,
Keir Apperley - CC Hackney Manager & lead coach